We live in St. Louis City and this is our third year gardening. We have two raised beds in our backyard,
and use the Square Foot Gardening Method.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

How it All Began

Oct 3: The beginning: Raised beds about
a week after Phil and Wes built them.
One day in late September, I was out running errands with my mom, aunts, and sister-in-law to be. We went to a wedding dress shop and Laura modeled a few dresses. We went to get supplies for the quads first birthday. Meanwhile, Phil was hanging out with our friend Wes. Wes is who inspired me to put together the little container garden I had last year.

I guess they weren't sure what they wanted to do so they decided to put in a couple of raised garden beds in our backyard. I, of course, found out that this was happening well after it was all underway. We have been talking about doing a garden forever. I really pushed for it, but Phil always said it was a lot of work. I have Wes to thank for getting Phil into the idea.

Throughout the rest of the fall, we filled the beds with soil we got from the park near our house. We also composted vegetable scraps, egg shells, and coffee grounds directly in the beds. We have had more snow than usual this winter so for the last few weeks the beds have been covered in ice and snow.

2010: Attempt at container
gardening on the patio.
My experience with containers last year was mediocre. I attempted to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeƱos, green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers. The zucchini and cucumbers failed pretty miserable. They had a promising start but I think they didn't have enough room. The peppers grew so easily and produced very well. The tomatoes I had higher hopes for but I'm blaming the squirrels. Some kind of pest that I never laid eyes on ate holes in my beans and they ended up dying.

I think I learned some good lessons from my experience last year. Especially, that things can go wrong and what kind of things. And sometimes it's out of your control.

I'm letting Phil make a lot of decisions and do most of the planning for this year's garden. The only thing I really want are LOTS OF TOMATOES!



2 comments:

  1. I'm about to start planting lettuce! I would love to see a post about how the raised beds were built if at all possible. Matt and I want to build a small one but we don't really know where to start. We are going to try composting too. I'm excited about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see what information I can get out of Phil about building the boxes. : )

    ReplyDelete